Cookies and We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue, we'll assume that you are happy to receive them.
You can read more about how we use cookies, and turn them off, on this page.

  • Network interface

    You may own adjacent land or need to build facilities, transport or infrastructure, or place utility apparatus on or near to the rail network

  • If you do, then we need a close working relationship. An integral part of our role is to manage the activities of outside parties who want to carry out works on or near to the railway, or to build bridges under or over our land or where that activity impacts in some way on the rail network.

    If your work is alongside HS1, please visit our Network Interface - HS1 page.

    Managing risk to the network

    All work of this nature, no matter how small, can be a risk to the operational railway or damage our infrastructure and vice-versa. The railway environment is a dangerous one for you to work alongside and can impact upon your works. We would be pleased to explain these risks to you.

    Within Asset Management, we have a team of project managers dedicated to advising anyone who is planning activities on or near the railway.

    Our project managers can address a multitude of tasks, including neighbouring construction sites, maintenance of property and work near level crossings etc, to assess the potential impact of your project. They can give you guidance either on site, at a meeting, through correspondence or with booklets to clarify whether your proposed project poses a risk to the rail network.

    Map: Asset protection manager contact details
    Asset Protection General leaflet

    Works activity in the street

    A Highways Interface Advisor works alongside the Asset Protection project managers (see map), providing specialist advice relating to works activity in the street.

    The Highways Interface Advisor deals with the technical and administrative issues arising from the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) 1991 and related legislation. Their duties cover such issues as the Exchange of Works information and the provision and maintenance of information for the National Street Gazetteer. They also represent Network Rail on Highways Authorities and Utilities Committees (HAUCs) in England and Wales and Roads Authorities and Utilities Committees (RAUCs) in Scotland.

    Any consultation required under NRSWA should be directed to the Asset Protection project managers, as should any apparatus enquiries or plant information requests.

    All works notices under NRSWA should be issued through the normal channels - EToN (Electronic Transfer of Notices) in England and Wales and the SRWR (Scottish Road Works Register) in Scotland.


    Please call our National Helpline on 03457 11 41 41

    Asset Protection project managers do not deal with emergencies.

    Planning, sales, lettings, easements

    Town and country planning, property sales, lettings and easement negotiations are handled by our Commercial Property team.

    Help us to help you

    To help us answer your enquiry effectively, please provide as much information as possible by downloading, completing and forwarding an enquiry questionnaire.

    We try to respond within five working days. If an unreasonable time has passed without reply, please contact your route asset protection project manager - our UK contacts map will help you to identify the appropriate project manager.

    Electro Magnetic Compatibility (EMC)

    The Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006 impose legal obligations on all installers of electrical and electronic installations, to ensure that the risks associated with EMC are taken into account by all parties concerned.

    EMC concerning outside party works adjacent to or near the railway boundary, eg electrical sub-stations, radio and telecoms installations

    If you require advice or information on how to address a EMC risk to the operational railway or infrastructure, before you contact our Asset Protection project managers please email our EMC National specialist team at

    EMC concerning third party works on our land or land leased to a passenger or freight train company

    License exempt wireless telegraphy equipment is radio apparatus (eg wireless Wi-Fi routers) which, in general terms, would need to meet one of the appropriate UK Radio Interface Requirements, published and enforced by the Office of Communications (Ofcom). These requirements may impose limits to the level of radio frequency power; frequencies etc that may be used and can restrict the type of antenna that may be installed.

    To address any risk to the operational railway or infrastructure, we would like to see proof that the installation of any equipment meets the requirements of the appropriate UK Radio Interface requirement.

    If you wish to install and operate wireless telegraphy equipment of this type on property or land managed by us then you will need to contact our Commercial Property team:

    If you wish to install or operate wireless telegraphy equipment of this type on property leased by us to a train or freight operating company, you will need to approach them in the first instance.

  • Your questions answered

    Which activities interface with the network?

    • A utility company laying a pipeline under a railway line
    • Construction work on adjacent land or roads
    • Cables and bridges under or over the railway tracks
    • A jib of a crane reaching across our property
    • Hoardings around our land

    These projects may not materially change the network but may have engineering and safety requirements and contractual engagements to deal with the different rules associated with such project interfaces.

    Who are outside parties?

    • The Highways Agency
    • Local authorities
    • Utility companies
    • Consulting engineers
    • Property developers
    • Commercial enterprises
    • Adjacent landowners

    ... and many other organisations.

    There are more than 1,600 outside party schemes each year that impact on us, including over 100 involving building bridges.

    What are HAUCs and RAUCs?

    These are committees that provide forums for all professional organisations involved in street works to discuss common issues and resolve any difficulties.

    We have developed working relationships with over 200 local Highway Authorities and more than 250 utility companies through these forums.